Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT IS PUBLIC HOUSING?
- WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR PUBLIC HOUSING?
- HOW DOES THE APPLICATION PROCESS WORK?
- WILL I NEED TO PRODUCE ANY DOCUMENTATION?
- WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED?
- WILL I HAVE TO SIGN A LEASE?
- HOW IS RENT DETERMINED?
Your rent, which is referred to as the Total Tenant Payment (TTP) in this program, would be based on your families anticipated gross annual income less deductions, if any. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development regulations allow Housing Authorities to exclude from annual income the following allowances: $480 for each dependent; $400 for any elderly family, or a person with a disability; and some medical deductions for families headed by an elderly person or a person with disabilities. Based on your application, the Terre Haute Housing Authority representative will determine if any of the allowable deductions should be subtracted from your annual income. Annual income is the anticipated total income from all sources received from the family head and spouse, and each additional member of the family 18 years of age or older.
The formula used in determining the TTP is the highest of the following, rounded to the nearest dollar:
(1) 30 percent of the monthly adjusted income. (Monthly Adjusted Income is annual income less deductions allowed by the regulations);
(2) 10 percent of monthly income;
(3) welfare rent, if applicable; or
(4) a $50 minimum rent amount.
- HOW LONG CAN I STAY IN PUBLIC HOUSING?
- HOW DOES SECTION 8 DIFFER FROM PUBLIC HOUSING?
- WHAT ARE THE HOURS OF OPERATION FOR THE TERRE HAUTE HOUSING AUTHORITY?
- WHERE IS THE CENTRAL OFFICE LOCATED?
- I RECEIVED A LETTER FOR AN INTAKE APPOINTMENT. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- I AM NOT ABLE TO ATTEND MY INTAKE APPOINTMENT. CAN I RESCHEDULE?
- I HAVE BEEN DENIED ASSISTANCE AND WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION AS TO WHY?
- I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS COMMITING FRAUD, OR HAVE A GENERAL COMPLAINT ABOUT ONE OF YOUR PROPERTIES. HOW CAN I REPORT THEM OR FILE A COMPLAINT?
- I AM ALREADY LIVING IN PUBLIC HOUSING WITH THE TERRE HAUTE HOUSING AUTHORITY, BUT I NEED TO REPORT A CHANGE OR I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT MY RENT STATEMENT?