Frequently Asked Questions
- WHAT IS PUBLIC HOUSING?
- WHO IS ELIGIBLE FOR PUBLIC HOUSING?
- HOW DOES THE APPLICATION PROCESS WORK?
- WILL I NEED TO PRODUCE ANY DOCUMENTATION?
- WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED?
- WILL I HAVE TO SIGN A LEASE?
- HOW IS RENT DETERMINED?
- HOW LONG CAN I STAY IN PUBLIC HOUSING?
- HOW DOES SECTION 8 DIFFER FROM PUBLIC HOUSING?
Public Housing communities are owned and operated by Terre Haute Housing Authority and Public Housing tenants rent directly from the Terre Haute Housing Authority.
Section 8 tenants, however, rent from private property owners and applicable rental assistance is provided by the Terre Haute Housing Authority through its Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) program. The rental properties may be apartments, town homes, detached single family homes, duplexes, or even mobile homes.
- WHAT ARE THE HOURS OF OPERATION FOR THE TERRE HAUTE HOUSING AUTHORITY?
- WHERE IS THE CENTRAL OFFICE LOCATED?
- I RECEIVED A LETTER FOR AN INTAKE APPOINTMENT. WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
- I AM NOT ABLE TO ATTEND MY INTAKE APPOINTMENT. CAN I RESCHEDULE?
- I HAVE BEEN DENIED ASSISTANCE AND WOULD LIKE MORE INFORMATION AS TO WHY?
- I KNOW SOMEONE WHO IS COMMITING FRAUD, OR HAVE A GENERAL COMPLAINT ABOUT ONE OF YOUR PROPERTIES. HOW CAN I REPORT THEM OR FILE A COMPLAINT?
- I AM ALREADY LIVING IN PUBLIC HOUSING WITH THE TERRE HAUTE HOUSING AUTHORITY, BUT I NEED TO REPORT A CHANGE OR I HAVE QUESTIONS ABOUT MY RENT STATEMENT?